Select Page

Goodbye Grey's Anatomy!

Goodbye Grey's Anatomy!

I never thought I’d be saying this but, i’m done with Grey’s Anatomy! I’m sure you know by now Grey’s Anatomy killed off Derek Shepherd (Mcdreamy) from the show! The episode left fans both in tears, confusion and anger – Derek (Patrick Dempsey) has been on the show since Season 1 and fans have been loyal for over 11 seasons watching the Mer/Der love affair!

After all the drama (bombs, ex wives, deaths, adoption, shootings, plane crashes) the two finally settled down in their dream house with their happy family only to have Derek spend half the season (off screen) in ‘Washington’ on a special Presidential brain mapping project; then to have Derek return to admit long distance marriage is too hard and he wants to be with his family. On his way back to Washington to resign, he is involved in a car accident which leads to his death. Not exactly an ideal send off? Personally, I feel they shouldn’t have ‘killed’ off his character. Why not just have him stay in Washington?

I waited until last Thursday’s episode to make my final decision on wether to continue watching the show or not…The optimistic part of me hopped that Meredith would wake up from a horrible nightmare and everything would be fine. After that didn’t happen I was anxious to see how the show would deal with the aftermath of Derek dying and I was extremely disappointed to say the least… They fast forwarded a year and hardly gave Derek the proper send off he deserved. Not even so much as a guest star appeared (sloppy episode).

Many fans agree, US weekly released this statement.

“Mad about McDreamy! Grey’s Anatomy fans went through another box of tissues in the two-hour episode “She’s Leaving Home (Part 2)” following Derek Shepherd’s death on Thursday, April 30. But it turns out, they weren’t just upset about his funeral. Viewers were disappointed in how the ABC medical drama handled the aftermath, which (spoiler!) jumped several months to reveal that Meredith Grey was pregnant with his child.”

I always came back to Grey’s even after they killed off many of my favourite characters, but this was by far the worst two episodes of the series and I’d rather stop watching the show now than watch it completely unravel… I don’t want to see Meredith’s life without Derek (after rooting for 11 years for them to be together). I jokingly tweeted that Grey’s Anatomy has become an abusive relationship and I would no longer be watching.

I also feel like the reason he was killed off makes the entire thing worse (because Shonda thought he was being a Diva and coming to work with a bad attitude). I know Shonda has a no diva policy for her shows; but couldn’t she cut Patrick some slack, he is after all going threw a public divorce and probably custody battle for his children.

Obviously that’s not the ‘official’ word..

Shonda creator of Grey’s Anatomy released this statement,

“Derek Shepherd is and will always be an incredibly important character — for Meredith, for me and for the fans. I absolutely never imagined saying goodbye to our ‘McDreamy.’ Patrick Dempsey’s performance shaped Derek in a way that I know we both hope became a meaningful example — happy, sad, romantic, painful and always true — of what young women should demand from modern love. His loss will be felt by all. Now, Meredith and the entire Grey’s Anatomy family are about to enter uncharted territory as we head into this new chapter of her life. The possibilities for what may come are endless. As Ellis Grey would say: the carousel never stops turning.”

ABC also released a statement about why Dempsey left:

“After 11 seasons on Grey’s Anatomy, Patrick Dempsey is moving on to pursue other interests. Dr. Derek Shepherd is an iconic character and we’ve been proud to be the home of ‘McDreamy’ and the ‘Mer/Der’ love story. The devotion of Grey’s fans throughout the years has been a testament to the creative mind of Shonda Rhimes and Dempsey’s talent. ‘McDreamy’ will be greatly missed and we wish Patrick the very best in his future endeavors.”

Goodbye Greys! Let me know if you’ll still be watching in the comments below.

About The Author

Amira

Amira is a Canadian author, blogger and entrepreneur. She published her first novel 'Ecstasy' March 2014.

61 Comments

1. I prayed the whole 2 hours she would wake up from a dream and Derek was there.

2. I think the whole fast forward thing was because they were going to make Meredith pregnant, but didn’t want to drag it out in somewhat real time. Then they can move on with the storyline like Derek’s death barely happened. At least that is my theory. I think the whole entire thing has done an injustice to the diehard fans. And plus, what has this season been about? The only real story that was told was the April/Jackson one and the Geena Davis/Amelia one. There has been very little about Callie, Karev, Bailey, Richard, andOwen. If they want this show to go on at all, they are going to have to get further in depth with the other characters. How about some love interests for Arizona and Callie? Karev could marry his girlfriend. Something! Meredith has been my least favorite character for most of series (until recent years) because it seemed all she ever did was whine. Until she had kids, I didn’t really like her.

3. I am broken, literally had a heart attack, heart breaking!!! Not fair to Meredith, children and Derek. Just not fair. I loved every moment , cried, laughed and enjoyed FROM S 1-CURRENT , like a everyday life, watching and living over and over again, can it “NOT BE A BAD DREAM”??? PLEASE… All I know is… that Greys had a long future still ahead and now ruined and dead!!!!!!! Killing of one of the best and loved, SAD!!!!!!!!!!! Meredith keeps loosing!?!?!?!?

4. The end of Grey’s Anatomy is near… this whole season has sucked… McSteamy’s death had more meaning then McDreamy…. this show is just really McSucking lol

5. I don’t know what Shonda was thinking, the show just lost most of their fan base.

6. I thought Amelia was the best part of the episode. Her breakdown with Hunt was heartbreaking. The best acting of the episode.

However, I HATE that Shonda killed Derek off and gave his character and the fans such a disrespectful treatment of the character.

7. Rhimes owed the audience that has stuck with this show for 11 years a happy ending!! Even watching old shows will only remind us that she killed Derek! Get over yourself Shonda! I want the last 11 years of my life BACK!

8. As soon as I saw she was pregnant, I stopped watching. The only thing unpredictable about last nights episode was the lack of grieving over Derek’s death.

9. I feel the exact same way!!! I’m DONE with Greys.

10. The central storyline of Grey’s has ALWAYS been about Meredith and Derek from day 1. Whether they were together, apart, happy, sad, whatever… their story was intertwined through everything. It doesn’t work without both of them and at the very least, Derek and the fans deserved something better than this slop Shonda Rhimes served up. GOOD BYE GREYS.

11. Such a huge huge huge disappointment and a slap in the face to fans of over 10yrs who deserved better regarding a send-off to Derek! No guest stars like Christina, Addison, how about Izzy and even Burke making a cameo! That’s what people wanted to see!!!! GRRRR.

12. i can’t believe this is how Derek & Meredith are ending. Shonda Rhimes has no respect for her fans. No more Grey’s, no more Scandal, never watched Murder, and will certainly never ever watch another show that Shonda Rhimes is involved with. That was personal & had nothing to do with the FANS of Grey’s Anatomy. So much for Shonda ruling Thursday. I predict a drop in ALL of her ratings!

13. Shonda Rhimes has officially ruined a perfectly good show

14. I really though at least Addison would show up on Derek’s funeral. I seriously doubt the series will ever recover from the previous episode…

15. Don’t hate me but…. i have to say I love how Alex was there for her, the whole time. He was the only one calling. Even though he was her contact he could of not come for her but he did and brought them all home. I thought the show was great. It showed how everyone dealt with the loss and that life still goes on regardless of your pain. Loved the burn unit parts, that was great, such support. It was a well written episode I think.

16. Personally and this is just my opinion. I really liked it. I liked that it showed the months of grief all the characters went through and in different ways rather then just an ordinary Funeral episode. However I do think Sandra Oh, Isaiah Washington, Kate Walsh and yes even Katherine Heigl should have been in the episode. I do wish the funeral was more then few seconds. Other then that I actually enjoyed it.

17. What is happening? It was legit like watching a train wreck! What happened to the funeral? Where was Addison? Cristina? Words about Derek!? Really? Nothing? It all feels like wasted time and tears. Thanks for the big slap in the face Shonda.

18. I have loved this show from the beginning. Sorry to say it is time to say goodbye…

19. This whole season has been a waste of time. It’s not just Derek who died, the show died. Shonda is more invested in her new shows, she let Grey’s turn to shit.

20. Shonda Rhimes is drunk with power. Mad at Dempsey? She’ll show him… And they called HIM a diva…. I’m done with her and any other show she comes up with. Grey’s was dying slowly anyway.

21. I agree, it’s much worse because he was killed off for such a dumb reason. Shonda sounds like a bitch to work for/with.

22. the most disrespectful death on TV i’ve ever seen! Just spit to fans and the cast of the show.

23. I am disappointed in last night episode as well, i feel like this is not the same show any more. I don’t think i will be tuning into next season. The way the show runs is nothing like the first 5 season. It make me sad, this has been on my fav. list for years. Time to find something else to watch on Thursdays at 8pm.

24. last episode was terrible.. They should have honoured Derek’s memory. The hole 2 hours sucked. I’m so angry I don’t even know what to do!

25. I wont watch anymore, they have taken away so many of the key characters but Derek being killed off the a huge mistake for the series, i don’t know how much longer they will be able to keep it going….this fan is gone

26. I haven’t watched the show since that god awful musical episode, I was gobsmacked when I read Derek died, like HELLO it may be called Grey’s Anatomy, but he’s freaking Derek McDreamy Shepherd. No more George, no more Izzy, no more Christina, guess what Shonda no more viewers.

27. I’m only going to keep watching because ive already invested too much of my feelings into this show but I do hate where its going. The show is getting so lame, it should end soon.

28. What’s next for Meredith? Killing all her children so that she’ll be completely alone? Seems like this is the ultimate point of this show.

29. THE SHOW WILL NEVER BE THE SAME. THE LOVE STORY BETWEEN MERIDITH AND HER HUSBAND WERE THE CORNER STONE OF THIS SHOW. SO SAD.

30. I watched Thursday’s episode just to see where it was going now without Patrick. Let’s just say that Shonda, disappointed many! Hope you’re happy Shonda, you just put the nail in the Greys Anatomy coffin.

31. Im with you! It’s time to step off the emotional roller coaster of Grey’s Anatomy… If Mer and Der aren’t together then what’s the point of watching?

32. Grey ‘s Anatomy went to hell in short order. Apparently Shonda can’t get enough of screwing over fans of the show. Go back to Scandal. At least you are trying to put effort in with that show. Horrible send off. Total crap.

33. ummm, i want my life back.

34. I still don’t even understand what happened! why would she would name her baby Ellis. Lexie would have been better. She never had a good relationship with her mother?! What’s going on with Greys!?!?!?!!?!?!

35. my heart can’t handle greys anymore. i cried buckets.

36. I lost interest in the show after Cristina left but kept watching just to see….I will now never watch the show again. For anyone out there who hasn’t started this series. DONT BOTHER.

37. Most predicted writing. Just terrible. Making Meredith’s story identical to her mom’s, right down to the kid calling 911 is ridiculous. If I hear anything else about the stupid carousel I’m going to throw my remote at the TV. This show should be cancelled! Fuck You Shonda!

38. Who all thought Derek was going to appear when the Doctor woke Meredith up after she had her baby and said your husband is here?? Just more of Shonda’s false hope. Just kill me.

39. I would think that at least Addison would have been there. She was married to him for many years and they were on good terms. I think there should have been more of a mourning period for the people of GS, Derek’s family, and the fans. It would have been nice to see Mer interact and lean on Derek’s family a little bit. Last week was an extremely sad episode that ticked off a lot of viewers, the least the writers could have done was give the fans a little more!

40. 2 seconds of dereks funeral, limited scenes of grieving and Meredith comes out w the largest baby ever….it has to be the worst episode ever!

41. There is NOT one thing that makes me want to tune into next season of Greys!

42. I wasn’t impressed with the episode. I thought it should be an end of the show also.

43. I’m DONE with all Shonda’s shows! BYE THURSDAY NIGHTS!

44. I really though at least Addison would show up on Derek’s funeral. I seriously doubt the series will ever recover from the previous episode. Such a HUGE disappointment!

45. I feel like I need to host my own funeral for Derrick since the show didn’t even have one 🙁 I’m going back to S1…

46. Derek isn’t dead. Watch they’ll bring him back. Just in time to end the whole show mer will find her long awaited cure. This will all be in mer’s head!!!

47. Grey’s is over…I will not watch until Derek is brought back. I don’t care what they write or try to do until then…no thanks.

48. I wonder if shonda has some kind of plan or if she’s making it up as she goes…

49. I hate what Grey’s has become but I want to see how the April/Jackson story plays out… Then again, one of them will probably just die.

50. I bet everyone who’s commenting will be watching greys tonight!

51. I unliked the Grey’s FB page. I’m not watching the show anymore after the whole McDreamy fiasco! It’s just turned into an advertisement for all Shonda’s upcoming shows! NO Thanks!

52. I feel like they are trying to weed Grey’s out with all these new shows. I’m not Ohkey with it. Just because #mcdreamy died doesn’t mean the show can’t go on! #keepgreysalive

53. WTF, I just watched the trailer for Shonda’s new show!! she should focus on writing storylines that actually make sense in her already existing shows, rather than constantly creating new shows.

54. i’m still going to watch but my hearts not invested anymore.

55. can’t believe shonda would let behind the scenes politics affect the plot of the show. if u ask me that’s pretty unprofessional

56. Am I the only one still shocked and heart broken over Derek? It’s been weeks and it still makes me angry to think about it!

57. I’ve been re watching old eepisodes of greys on Netflix and it wasn’t until re watching that I realize how shitty the show has gotten in the past few years! In the old season, I would cry and become invested in patients stories but I haven’t in the past 2 seasons. What happened?

58. I wish Shonda would explain why she did this.. Is she just wigging it or did she plan to ruin mer’s life from the start????

59. Shonda just stopped making good story lines for Greys because it grew a huge fan base so she completely slacked off. Bye Greys! Bye Shonda!

60. have you watched the new season? it sucks.

61. The new season is worst that I could have ever imagined 🙁 it’s true, greys is officially done.